January 01, 2005

Hello and welcome

This is the inaugural post of Sacra Eloquia, the theological companion to The Crusty Curmudgeon.

A while back I decided that if I was going to do the sort of detailed theology that I like to write about, it would be necessary to separate it from the rest of my writing ust for the sake of continuity. When I blog about five trivial things in a day, for example, longer, more "important" posts tend to get lost in the page. So I set out to create a parallel blog where I could collect specficially theological writings, usually extended series about certain topics or entire books of the Bible.

The name sacra eloquia comes from the works of Augustine, particularly the Enchiridion on Faith, Hope, and Love. It means what it looks like - "sacred eloquence" - and is a nickname that the great African bishop often used for the sacred Scriptures.

As of today - on schedule, I might add - I think I've got everything preentable and operational, though no doubt there are a few bugs to work out here and there. For example, I notice that although my template looks pretty much as expected in Mozilla Firefox, in Internet Explorer it seems to be somewhat mangled. If anyone can suggest a way of making it look correct in both browsers, feel free to inspect my HTML source and style sheet.

A little bit about me: I haven't gone into too much detail about the specifics of my own beliefs over on the Crusty Curmudgeon, so now is as good a time as any. Specifically, I label myself as a Reformed Baptist, which means I am in basic agreement with the Baptist Confession of Faith, the doctrinal statement of such notables as Charles Haddon Spurgeon. Thus my approach to Scripture is credobaptist, Calvinist, and covenantal, insofar as I believe these positions are the Biblical ones. Call me "Calvinist," "Evangelical," "Fundamentalist," "Baptist," or what you will.

Expect to see some actual content appear here starting on Thursday, and more or less weekly thereafter. (Why Thursday? Why not? "Theology" and "Thursday" are nicely alliterative.) If you want a preview of this week's offering, it will be a rerun of the first part of my sola Scriptura mini-series, which you can read here.

In a few weeks, Lord willing, I'll settle down with some exposition of Paul's letter to the Galatians and work my way through that short but important book.

As always: Enjoy.

Labels:

- Posted by Scott McClare @ 9:28 PM · Permalink
·